Monday, February 7, 2011

A Year of Blogging: February 6, 2011

Yesterday was the Super Bowl. I normally do not get into the Super Bowl. I know some people watch it just for the commercials. The commercials never really interested me. While I am very passionate about college football, I have always felt the sport loses something once you get to the Pro level. The passion for the game gets replaced by greed. For money and attention and fame. So when someone asks me who my favorite football team is, I always provide a little disclaimer. "I really don't follow Pro football, but..." An odd statement considering my parents took their honeymoon to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH. That's right. My parents went to Canton, OH for their honeymoon. In DECEMBER. You are nodding your head- because now you know why I'm a little off-kilter. For as long as I can remember, my father has had a picture on his dresser of my mom. She is standing in front of Vince Lombardi's bust at the Hall of Fame. I think it remains his favorite picture of her. We once asked my mom what possessed her to go to the Football Hall of Fame for her honeymoon. She said "I was in love. When you're in love, you'll go anywhere." My sister disagreed, and said "No, I'm going to Disney World for my honeymoon." And she did! If you know who Vince Lombardi is, you know who my dad's favorite team is. The Green Bay Packers. So I am a cheesehead by default. I only watch the Super Bowl if the Packers are in it. Which means I watched last nights' game. The game was ok- I didn't fall asleep during the game. I missed the flub of the National Anthem. The commercials weren't interesting enough to keep my attention. They seemed no different than commercials on any other day. I thought the half-time show was mediocre. I enjoy the Black Eyed Peas, I'm just sick of them. It seems like they are everywhere. Overall, I realized why I don't normally watch the Super Bowl. It's over-hyped. But, at least the Packers won. Now I have to find a new hat for my dad! Maybe I'll get a shirt for myself. I highly recommend next year watching the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet. I watched the first showing, between 3-5. It is just adorable. Little puppies playing and roughhousing. It is a lot of cuteness and fun for not much hype!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny, but yesterday there were so many comments about the Super Bowl on my FB newsfeed, and they came from US and Non-US friends alike. Seems like the love for the game is rubbing off on Europeans!

    ReplyDelete