Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Year of Blogging: February 3, 2011

Well, once again, it is the weekend and I am a couple days behind on the blogging. Thursday was the 'Day the Music Died' . You may recognize this line from Don McLean's song "American Pie". In 1959, a plane crash killed three American rock stars: The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, and Ritchie Valens. I have to admit, I had no idea who these people were until the movie 'La Bamba' came out in 1987. The accident was some 17 years before I was born, my mother was only 5 1/2 at the time. We listened to country music in our house. I knew Patsy Cline had died in a plane crash, and I knew Hank Williams had died at a young age. By the time 'La Bamba' came out, we had seen 'Sweet Dreams' several times. My sister loved the movie 'La Bamba' and we watched it over and over. I could never watch the plane crash scenes- back to my fear of flying, I guess. I haven't seen it in years, but I think I still know it by heart.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that quite a number of singers have died in plane crashes over the years. Now aren't we lucky that our singing voices leave something to be desired? Then again, we could always take the train.

    ReplyDelete