Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Year of Blogging: August 6, 2011

The first Saturday in August is 'National Mustard Day'. So in 2011 we celebrate this yummy holiday on August 6. Mustard is my favorite condiment. I put it on almost everything. The foods other people put ketchup on, I put mustard on: hamburgers, hot dogs, ham & cheese sandwiches (cold or grilled), and french fries. Yes, french fries. My family is really big on ketchup. Many people in my family put ketchup on steaks and even on their scrambled eggs. I have an Uncle who puts ketchup on his corn flakes. So to be a person who uses mustard instead of ketchup makes me stick out more than I already do! I used to eat ketchup. I was a typical American child. And then, I read the back of the ketchup bottle one night at dinner and found ketchup was made from tomatoes. I have never liked tomatoes. When I discovered they were in ketchup, I was in second or third grade. This news shook my world. I banned ketchup from my life. I also realized spaghetti sauce was made from tomatoes, and for a while, I didn't eat spaghetti sauce either. I substituted mustard in place of ketchup and found I liked mustard much better. I outgrew the ban on spaghetti sauce, because I like Italian food too much. But I had gotten so used to mustard, I didn't go back to ketchup. Even now, the only things I eat ketchup on are my mom's meatloaf (Mom's a wonderful cook, but her meatloaf sucks. When I was dating my ex-husband, she made it one night and he said it tasted like dog food. We all thought it was her best one yet! And yes, I would, and have, said this to her face.) and hot sausage grinders (I don't know why I put ketchup on those, but I do). Other than that- it's mustard. When I'm in a restaurant, if my meal comes with french fries, the server always brings ketchup. I thank them and say I don't need it, but could they please bring some mustard? I think mustard takes second billing to ketchup, and it shouldn't. While watching a program on people who are extreme coupon shoppers, I learned that mustard is a favorite to buy in large quantities because it never spoils. When I went for the allergy testing, the nurse told me mustard is a good condiment for people with food allergies. You can use it in recipes (my favorite being the raspberry chicken). It just adds a nice bite to everything. There are many types of mustard. My favorites are the classic yellow mustard and honey mustard. It's hard to say which I prefer- it depends on my mood. I have several types of mustard in the house at all times. And, since Erich likes ketchup as much as I like mustard, you'll also find ketchup in the house. Celebrate today by fixing your favorite sandwich or a hamburger or hot dog and covering it with mustard! Or, you might want to check out the Mustard Museum, located in Middleton, WI. You could even try the Mustard Custard. I think I'll pass on that.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this is too funny! I also prefer mustard to any other condiments, and yes, I even put it on fries too. Not to say I dislike ketchup, but if I had to choose mustard would win every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. see- we are like sisters separated by an ocean!

    ReplyDelete