Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Year of Blogging: August 30, 2011

August 30 is 'National Marshmallow Toasting Day'. I kind of already covered toasted marshmallows on National S'mores day, and really, how much can you say about toasted marshmallows? August 30 is also Frankenstein Day. The author of Frankenstein, Mary Wollenstonecraft Shelley, was born on August 30, 1797. I know it's a classic, but I have never read Frankenstein. It was one of the 100 free books I got with my Nook Color, and even then I still don't think I'll read it. It's never been something that appeals to me. On August 30 in 30 B.C., Cleopatra committed suicide. I've never really studied Cleopatra very much, but I didn't know she committed suicide. Or maybe they specifically don't teach us that in school. Maybe there is a fear of glorifying or romanticizing suicide. Or maybe, I just don't remember learning it! So it looks like August 30 is a slow day. I am grateful. I returned early this morning from my most recent trip. I was up for 20 hours straight before arriving home, and today my body has reminded me I'm no longer young enough to pull such crap. It wasn't that long ago that I could get by on just a couple hours of sleep. No longer. I've had that weird tired feeling all day. That one where you feel like you are floating outside your body. Everything has a slight tingly feeling to it. Although, I should point out, the 20 hours wasn't something I planned. Due to the damage near my parents' from Tropical Storm Irene, I was up at 4:30am to go into work with my Mom because I had a flight to catch in the afternoon, and we weren't sure we'd be able to get out later as most of the roads are destroyed. Then I spent the day babysitting my very active five year old niece, and then it was off to the airport. My original flight was for yesterday morning, but it was canceled and I was rebooked on a flight for 7:20 last night. Then, the plane was supposed to come from Philly, and was delayed due to mechanical issues, and the delay meant I would miss my connecting flight in Philly, so I had to quickly get rebooked on a flight to La Guardia and connect through there to get home to Dayton last night. It was either that or stay a few more days. I've never been to La Guardia, it's one I try to avoid. It was old and dirty, and not so impressive. But flying over Manhattan at night was beautiful! I saw the Empire State Building all lit up, and I also saw Citifield (where the Mets play). Then on my flight into Dayton, there was a bomb-sniffing dog sitting directly in front of me. She was a beautiful German Shepherd, and she was the best behaved dog. She hopped up in her seat and put her head on her handler's leg and rested. When we touched down in Dayton, she sat straight up. Then she looked out the window and knew she was home, and was very eager to get off the plane. So I would have missed that, and seeing Manhattan at night by air, if I had to go to Philly. A couple of bright spots in the otherwise dreary night of traveling. It's good to be home. Now to get back to my routine here, which includes blogging. It won't be long til I'm off on my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment