Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Year of Blogging: August 2, 2011

Continuing our food theme this week, August 2 was 'National Ice Cream Sandwich' day. There's very few ice cream products I haven't made friends with, and ice cream sandwiches are no exception. I love ice cream sandwiches. According to Wikipedia an ice cream sandwich is any flavor of ice cream sandwiched between two biscuits, cookies, or pieces of cake. There is something satisfying about an ice cream sandwich. It satisfies the chocolate craving and the ice cream craving, or perhaps the cookie and the ice cream cravings. It is also portable, so you can go anywhere with it. Last year, I was watching The Food Network, and they were making homemade ice cream sandwiches. I had never thought of doing that- I always bought them at the store. They are incredibly easy to make. You'll need cookies- they should be about the size of the palm of your hand or bigger, and ice cream. If you don't want to bake the cookies, go to the local bakery (or the bakery of your grocery store) and buy cookies. You could use sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies- any kind that you like. The ice cream should be a little soft, so that you can 'mold' it into a layer between the two cookies. You can use any kind of ice cream too. Get creative! Once the sandwiches are assembled, put them back in the freezer so the ice cream can harden back up. My sister recently made homemade ice cream sandwiches using brownies as the cookies. She made them for Mom's 4th of July party. When she told me about them, I swear I was drooling. Doesn't that sound just heavenly? I think I may have to make those soon!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think we even have these over here at least I never noticed. But I remember eating an icecream sandwich at Disney World - Mickey shaped of course and it was wonderful with the soft chocolate cookie and the vanilla icecream, yumy!

    ReplyDelete