Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Year of Blogging: August 21, 2011

August 21 is 'National Senior Citizens Day'. Unlike many other days that have 'National' in them, this actually is a National day. On August 19, 1988; President Ronald Reagan issued Proclamation #5847 declaring August 21 as National Senior Citizens day. It is a day to honor the elderly members of our families and communities. It is a good day to spend time with the older lady who lives next door. Maybe help out the elderly couple from your church. You never know when your one small act will brighten someones day. It seems that after eight months of blogging, I've woven many of my own stories into the daily events. I know I already wrote about helping our elderly neighbors when I was growing up, so I'm not going to bore you by repeating it. I think all children would benefit from helping the elderly in their community. We might just end up with a more pleasant society. Middletown High School requires students to do so many hours of community service helping the elderly. It is a wonderful requirement, and this summer the girl across the street mowed several of the neighbors' yards one week. That is the only time I've ever seen her help the neighbors. It's a shame that she only did it because she had to. The lessons my parents taught us by having us help the neighbors or elderly members of our church have stuck with me. Erich and I have several elderly neighbors, and we help them when we can. We should all help our seniors a little more. After all, someday we'll be the seniors!

No comments:

Post a Comment