Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Year of Blogging: August 3, 2011

August 3 is Watermelon Day. Another tasty day. I've already eaten dinner, but writing all these blogs about food is making me hungry! Watermelon is one of those wonderful things about summer that you can enjoy regardless of age. What is a party or picnic in the summer without watermelon? I remember my mom carving an oblong watermelon into a basket with a handle, and then filling the watermelon basket with fruit salad. It became the centerpiece on the table, and was always a conversation piece. She hasn't made that in years- I think it takes too much time and she's just too busy. So how do you choose a watermelon? My Grandma always said if you started to cut a watermelon and it split the rest of the way open, that it was a good melon. It's not like you can slice one open at the market, though. Watermelons should be heavy for the size. They should also have a symmetrical shape. The skin should be bright and the 'field spot' should be creamy to yellow or even orange. If the 'field spot' is white, pale green, or nonexistent; find another melon. For those who don't know, the 'field spot' is the part where it touches the ground while growing. Think about it. Pumpkins usually have a flat side- it's the same idea. There are many things you can do with watermelon. You can make soup, salsa, ice cream or sherbet, drinks, sandwiches.... so many options. I'm a bit boring, I like to eat mine either straight or in part of a fruit salad. If you haven't already gone to www.watermelon.org ; I encourage you to check it out. There are some incredible carving ideas on that site, and lots of recipes. The crafty person in me is feeling inspired!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh ... nothing I hate more than icy cold watermelon as dessert on a plane! As a veggie I always seem to get it and I just don't like watermelon as it is, not to mention cold enough to give me brainfreeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! :( They should give you a brownie as dessert.

    ReplyDelete