Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Year of Blogging: August 11, 2011

August 11 was 'Play in the Sand' day. I can't remember the last time I played in the sand. It has to have been 20 years or so. When we went to the beach as a teenager, I was more concerned with stretching out with a book (before I had to wear reading glasses, that is). So I must have been around 10 the last time I played in the sand. My sister and I used to play in the sand when we went to the beach with my Grandparents. We attempted sand castles, but were never very successful. It was much more fun to bury Grandpa in the sand. We buried each other too. And we spent a lot of time searching for seashells. I heard a story on the news the other day about burying people in the sand. Apparently, the sand can undermine and you could either get swept away or be buried alive by the sand and suffocate. That sounds really scary. I am so glad my Grandma didn't know about that risk. She was always overly protective of my sister and I, and a bit, shall we say paranoid? If she knew the sand could undermine she probably wouldn't have taken us to the beach at all! In a couple of weeks I'm going back to NY, and one day we might go to the State Park. They have a beach there. It's not the ocean, but it's a nice beach. If we go, I'll be able to play in the sand with Sydney and Drew, and relive part of my childhood. While it's not cool to play in the sand as a teenager, once you get to be a mid-30's Aunt, it's acceptable! If I don't get to play in the sand in a couple of weeks, I get another chance this fall when I make my first ever trip to Myrtle Beach. I don't think I'll actually be playing then, but it will be nice to wiggle my toes in the sand.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I haven't played in the sand myself for ages, not to say decades! Not only are there no beaches anywhere near, I also haven't gone on vacation to any sandy places. Granted, I've been to Brighton before (when in London I always go there on a day trip) but they don't have sand, but pebbles on the beach. Of course there are playgrounds where you have sandpits for the kids, but it'd be kinda weird if I turned up there, with no kid obviously) and started building a castle ;-) !

    ReplyDelete