Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Year of Blogging: July 6, 2011

July 6 is 'National Fried Chicken' Day. Fried chicken is supposedly one of America's favorite meals. Does that make me less American because I do not like fried chicken? Fried chicken is a staple in some parts of the country, like in the South. It is not a staple in the Northeast. At least it wasn't at Mom's house. Then again, Mom cooked healthier food long before it was the trendy thing to do. She bought boneless, skinless chicken which is not really conducive to frying. She cut the fat off of meat. I think the only thing she fried was homemade donuts. I've never gotten the appeal of fried chicken. Mainly because I can't get past the layer of skin that hides under the crispy coating. I also don't like having to bite around bones. Sure, you can use a knife and fork- but then people look at you a little weird. Fried chicken is supposed to be a finger food. I like chicken fingers, which I guess could be considered a form of fried chicken. Usually though, I only order chicken fingers if I know they are breaded and don't have skin. I have never liked chicken nuggets, and chicken fries just seems so wrong! Everyone who makes fried chicken has their own way of doing it. Some prefer to marinade the chicken in buttermilk, others say the pieces just need a quick dunk. The recipes vary on what spices you add to the flour, how many times you coat the chicken, and what type of oil you fry them in. There are probably hundreds of ways to make fried chicken. I've never tried. If Erich wants fried chicken, he'll have to order it at a restaurant. I did find a recipe for a nice breaded chicken, and to me that is just as satisfying as actual fried chicken. If you do enjoy fried chicken, make up a batch or stop by your favorite restaurant and pick up some for dinner tonight!

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed this on my many travels. Chicken is available in so many variations on menus that you can't help but think that it's the most popular meal in the US. I believe I even saw it as a pizza topping which, to me, is just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, at every pizza place in the US (big chain or little mom & Pop place), you can get chicken on your pizza. You can get regular chicken (like grilled), or bbq chicken, or chicken alfredo, many many options. I have never had chicken on pizza, but I have had pineapple on pizza. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete