Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Year of Blogging: July 12, 2011

July 12 was 'Different Colored Eyes' Day. It's a day to celebrate a couple of things. The first is a condition called Heterochromia iridis. This is a condition in which a person, or animal, has eyes of two different colors. One eye might be brown and the other hazel. This condition could be genetic, or it can be acquired through an injury or the result of a tumor. I had not heard of this in humans, but know there are certain dog breeds in which it is common. Siberian Huskies frequently have one blue eye and one brown. According to Wikipedia, there are many famous people with heterochromia iridis, including: Dan Aykryod, Christopher Walken, and Jane Seymour. Different Colored Eyes day is also a chance to celebrate what makes each of us different. Think to your family- how many different colors of eyes are in your family? In my family, my dad has brown, while mom, my sis and I have hazel. But even our hazels are different. Sydney and Drew both have deep blue eyes. Our eyes are as different as each of us. I think eye color is something to celebrate. I know people who don't like the color they've been blessed with. That's a shame. You can change your hair style and color. You can get your teeth straightened or whitened. Your eye color is something you can't change (unless you are going with colored contacts) so you might as well embrace it. My eyes are possibly the only part of my anatomy that I've always liked. I have hazel eyes, which have flecks of gold in them. My eyes change color based on my mood. If I'm angry, they are more green, and those flecks turn into sparks. If I've been crying, my eyes are almost blue. There are even times they look more brown. To me, the eyes are the doorway into a person's soul. You see laughter, love, and sadness in eyes. A person who won't make eye contact may have something to hide. I can tell a lot from a person's eyes. Take time today to appreciate the different eye colors in your world.

1 comment:

  1. First thing I had to think about were Huskys - these dogs often have one blue and one brown eye!
    I have heard of people who have this too, but didn't know thata there are celebs among them as well (then again, why not).
    My own eye color? Blue. Very blue. Not that watery kind, but brilliantly blue. One of my best features if I may say so :-D !!

    ReplyDelete