Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Year of Blogging: July 31, 2011

July 31 is 'Mutt's Day'. As in, a dog with more than one breed in its' ancestry. I know people who own mutts and who argue passionately that they are better dogs than purebreds. I am a mom to two purebred beagles, but I don't get into this argument. We chose to have purebreds, but we have both said that next time we want a dog, we will likely go to the shelter. Of course, we would still be looking for a beagle, but a beagle mix would be loved just as much as the purebreds. In recent years, dogs we previously considered mutts have become cool. Goldendoodles (crosses of Golden Retrievers and Poodles), Labradoodles (a mix of Labrador Retrievers and Poodles), Cockapoos (Cocker Spaniels and Poodles) and Puggles (Pug/Beagle mix) have become the trendy dogs. People pay a lot of money for these special breeds. And I think they would be very offended if you called their dog a mutt! I think it doesn't matter if your dog is a mutt or a purebred. Dogs bring so much into our lives: laughter, happiness, companionship. I couldn't imagine my life without my dogs. Ok, sure, when they start barking at 8am on a Saturday morning when I'm trying to sleep in, I get a little cranky. But when I come downstairs and am met with wagging tales and faces that are always happy to see me, they are forgiven. There is nothing like coming home after a rotten day, and being greeted at the door by Onyx carrying one of her toys. When she gets very excited, she makes a trilling sound as she holds her toy, and it is the cutest thing. Everything bad that happened just melts away, and when I sit down on the couch, I have a lapdog on each side. The rest of it is small stuff. What's important is being surrounded by those who love you- even if they are furry and have four legs!

2 comments:

  1. I think every dog has something going for it, no matter if it's a mutt or a purebred. They have their own personalities after all, and the rest is just "the looks".

    So Onyx greets you with a toy when you come home? And Cobalt serves the martini, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cobalt provides the place for my feet to rest on the couch- he snuggles his face against my feet and pins me to the couch thereby forcing me to snooze.

    Onyx greets me with a toy when I come home. When I come downstairs in the morning. Or pretty much any time I enter into the room again (I could get up to use the restroom and come out and she's standing there with a toy in her mouth)

    ReplyDelete