Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Year of Blogging: July 14, 2011

July 14 was Bastille Day. It is the day France celebrates the end of the constitutional monarchy and the beginning of the democratic republic. It is a national holiday in France, similar to Independence Day in the US. July 14 was also 'National Nude Day'. I don't think this needs much explanation. If you feel clothing is too restrictive, July 14 is the day to shed those shackles. While I have days that it hurts to wear clothing due to my fibromyalgia, I still wear clothes. I just choose very loose, cotton clothes that sort of skim the body. I guess I'm still too self-conscious to go without any clothes. There are plenty of people who aren't self-conscious, and they go without clothes. We've all heard of nudist camps or colonies. This is where groups of like-minded people come together and are free to be themselves without the societal boundaries of clothing. There was one not far from my house growing up. I'm not sure where it was, but I think it was somewhere in Massachusetts. To me, that seemed an unlikely place to have a nudist colony. Winters are pretty harsh in the northeast. It would seem to me a more moderate climate would be preferred. Then again, maybe they did wear clothing in the winter. I don't know. We only heard vague references to it, it was never fully explained to me. So what would happen if you chose to partake in National Nude Day? Imagine: walking out of the house with nothing on, driving down the road in your birthday suit. Showing up to work wearing only your briefcase, going shopping Au natural. Interestingly enough, July 14 is also 'Pandemonium Day'. Coincidence???

2 comments:

  1. I often run around with just my underwear for different reasons though - the heat! But in your case I could well imagine that you wouldn't want to hop around nekkid in case Erich comes in through the door ;-) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, he'd probably prefer it... he often goes without clothes such as jeans and shirts. He says everyone does it in Europe (his dad was stationed in Germany in the army)... so if someone comes to the door, I'm usually the one who has to answer it!

    ReplyDelete