Monday, July 18, 2011

A Year of Blogging: July 17, 2011

July 17 was 'National Ice Cream Day'. Since it is a national day, and not an 'international' day, it seems to have been a US holiday. But I think our friends from other countries can partake of the day. Summer and ice cream seem to go hand in hand. You hear the bells on the ice cream truck as it comes down the road (assuming of course, you live in a place where they HAVE an ice cream truck. I didn't experience ice cream trucks until I was an adult). Going out for an ice cream was a summertime favorite in our family. We'd have dinner at home, and then Mom would ask 'anyone want ice cream?' and we'd pile in the car and go to Stephentown to get a soft-serve cone. Of course, we always had ice cream in the house. My father loves ice cream. Mom and Dad had a chest freezer in the backroom (the backroom was like a mudroom), and it usually held at least three or four flavors of ice cream. Dad and Laura like black raspberry ice cream; Mom, Laura & I like coffee, Laura liked mint chocolate chip and I liked cookies and cream. The Schwann man loved coming to our house! Some people only eat ice cream in the summer. I eat it year round. Just like when I was growing up, we always have ice cream in at least one of the freezers. The flavors have changed. Erich and I have both become addicted to Graeters, a local ice cream that has recently started going national. It's made in small batches, and is really creamy. The best part of Graeter's are the chocolate chips- they are more like chocolate chunks. There have been times I've unearthed chips the size of my spoon- and I've had some pints that there is more chip than ice cream. Not a bad thing to have! The chocolate is silky and sweet. If I ever move away from this area, I know I'll be ordering Graeter's online and having it delivered. Other than Graeter's Mocha Chip, my favorites remain coffee and cookies and cream. My new favorite is cinnamon. I like to mix my flavors too: mixing coffee and cookies and cream is a wonderful combination. Mixing cinnamon and coffee tastes like a frozen breakfast. Whatever your favorite flavor is, scoop up a bowlful and enjoy it! It is one way to help keep things cool in the middle of summer!

1 comment:

  1. Darn it, we don't have ice cream trucks around here. I would have loved this as a child! In fact, every time I watch a movie were kids are running to the street after hearing the music played by the truck, I wish for this *sigh*.

    Personally I can only eat ice cream during summer. When it's cold outside I don't need to cool my body from the outside and the inside, you know!

    ReplyDelete