Monday, May 30, 2011

A Year of Blogging: May 29, 2011

According to the newspaper article I've been using for this project, May 29 was 'End of the Middle Ages' Day. I don't know what this means, and can't find anything about it either. The website I've been using to find alternate days, www.holidayinsights.com, doesn't even list May 29. I guess May 29 doesn't exist for the people at Holiday Insights. So I turned to my third backup- History.com . What happened on this day in history? In 1953, Edmund Hillary and his Sherpa guide, Tenzing Norgay reached the summit of Mount Everest- the highest point on earth. It took several days for the news to break around the world- most people did not hear of it until June 2. It is hard to imagine news taking days to report! Today, it probably would have been instant because no doubt, someone on that expedition would have been tweeting or posting a status update on Facebook! Two interesting birthdays to note on May 29: Bob Hope was born in 1903, and John F. Kennedy was born in 1917. Two men who in very different ways, became legends.

No comments:

Post a Comment