Friday, May 27, 2011

A Year of Blogging: May 26, 2011

May 26 was Sally Ride Day. Sally Ride was the first American woman to go into space. She made her first trip on June 18, 1983. She was born on May 26, so Sally Ride day is held on her birthday. I would love to say Sally Ride was one of my heroes, and that she inspired me. She is very inspiring, and a good role model for girls, but she wasn't one of my heroes. I never had a desire to be an astronaut. Maybe because I don't like flying, and I couldn't imagine flying in space. My lack of anything to say should not be construed as trivializing her achievement. There always has to be a 'first' woman. They blaze the path for the rest of us. And each time we have another 'first' woman, women everywhere take another giant step forward. Right now, we don't know where the space program is headed, but wouldn't it be wonderful to someday have an all female crew on a space shuttle, or whatever replaces the shuttle? It will be wonderful when there are no more 'firsts' for women to conquer-when there are no more 'man's worlds'!

No comments:

Post a Comment