Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Year of Blogging: May 21, 2011

The third Saturday in May is set aside as Armed Forces Day. In 2011, the third Saturday of May was the 21st. While Memorial Day was established to honor the fallen soldiers, Armed Forces Day recognizes those who are currently serving. The men and women protecting our country near and abroad. I am incredibly grateful for all of our soldiers. They do a job not everyone could do. Whether or not you agree with the politics and the wars we are currently fighting, I think everyone can agree our soldiers deserve our support. Their service helps keep the rest of us free. Freedom isn't free, it comes on the backs of the men and women of the US Armed Forces. Several people in my family have served our country at various points. My great-great-grandfather was in the Civil War. One of the battles his unit took part in was Gettysburg. My great-grandfather Primeau immigrated to the US from Canada in 1916, and joined the US Army to fight in WWI in 1918. My grandfather Primeau fought for both Canada and the US in WWII. He lied about his age to join the Canadian army, because Canada was in the war before the US was. Once the US joined, he was able to leave the Canadian army and came and joined the US Navy. (Grandpa was a US Citizen, but his father was born a Canadian citizen, but naturalized as a US Citizen after WWI. The family moved back and forth from the US to Canada several times as Grandpa was growing up). A great-uncle on Mom's side fought in WWII as well, getting injured in the Battle of the Bulge. My uncle served several years in the Navy, and his son also served many years in the Navy, including a tour in the Persian Gulf immediately following 9/11 and a tour in Afghanistan. Now, this cousin's wife is about to deploy to Afghanistan. I am sure I can go back farther and find military people in my family for all parts of the United States' history. I am honored to have so many people serve in our family. I could not, but I am thankful for those who do. The next time you see a serviceman or servicewoman, take a moment to say "thank you".

No comments:

Post a Comment