Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Year of Blogging: May 24, 2011

May 24 is National Escargot Day. Eww. I have never tried escargot. I know I never will. I can't get past the thought that they were slimy snails. I don't know why people started eating escargot. According to Wikipedia, snails have been eaten since prehistoric times. It was a dish of the elite in Roman times. It still is, to an extent. You don't find it on every restaurant's menu- at least not here in the US. I am very grateful for that! There are no 'alternate' celebrations today. So, I took a look at events that happened in history, courtesy of the History Channel (history.com) . In 1883, the Brooklyn Bridge opened. The bridge was designed by John Roebling, who also designed the Roebling suspension bridge in Cincinnati. I had the opportunity to see it in person this year. It is beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen the Brooklyn Bridge though. Interestingly, Roebling was the first person to die during the construction of the bridge. His toes were smashed by a boat as he took measurements, and he died a few weeks later of tetanus. 27 people died during the construction of this bridge. The bridge has carried horses, trolleys, elevated trains, cars, and always people. In times of emergencies, such as 9/11, people walk across the bridge in an almost mass exodus. When you think about what it must have taken to build this now vital link, without the modern conveniences of today's engineers, it is hard not to be impressed. Today, the bridge remains an iconic part of New York. Good job, Mr. Roebling!

No comments:

Post a Comment